A sweet fluffy cake topped with caramel loquats. This tastes magical!
So this is the season of sweet loquats! Oh how I love these fruits…! In our garden we have 4 trees, and all of them are seed grown! So this year we got loads and loads of loquats… I never know what to do with them rather than just eat the fruit straight from the tree. So I decided to 1. try to bake an upside down loquat cake with caramel 2. make jam.
The jam will be ready tomorrow but the cake was ready today! And all I can say is, EVERYONE in my family fell IN LOVE with it!!! I couldn’t wait to have a piece of this wonderful cake after dinner, so I ended up having one (ok maybe two) before eating the food 🙂 yes, it is THAT good!
This recipe is very similar to the other upside down cake recipes, I just added cinnamon to the topping but you can also add any other spices that you like (for a spicy Loquat cake) you can add ginger, nutmeg, cloves….
Loquat Upside Down Cake Recipe
- For the topping:
- 20-30 fresh loquats halved and pitted
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 190°.
- For the topping: melt the butter and mix with brown sugar. Arrange loquats on a greased pan with cut sides down. Then pour the melted butter with the brown sugar over the loquats.
- In a bowl sift together flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl cream butter with granulated sugar until smoothy and creamy. Then beat in vanilla and eggs. Combine dry ingredients with the batter mix, then add the milk and beat.
- Pour batter over loquats. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes then flip it over a plate (before the caramel becomes sticky!).
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional).
If you love upside down cakes, then you should also try…